Machine Control – Runways
Optimised 3D runway surveying and surfacing workflow
The traditional surveying process for runway resurfacing is time consuming that can lead to expenses errors. You would probably have to hammer pegs into the ground every five metres along the side of the runway and then measure the transverse profile every 20 metres, evaluate all the photos, draw up marking schedules and ensure that all the relevant data is documented. With runway strip in such high demand and so heavily used, closing them for maintenance is a big challenge. Any work carried out must be done quickly to minimise disruption.
R3 can quickly scan miles of runways in a short time, instantly capturing millions of data points. Knowing the surface details in advance allows you to successfully plan for an accurate material calculation, eliminating guesswork for the amount of asphalt or milling required.
Machine Control is the perfect tool for mainline paving or milling projects requiring long sections of runways that needs resurfacing. This complete system allows you to stay productive and be ahead of schedule.
Variable depth milling
- Identify existing asphalt surface profiles
- Eliminate guesswork and bid your job accurately
- Increase productivity and mill only what’s necessary
- Mill one time and deliver a more even, less bumpy surface for a perfect paving job
Variable thickness paving
- Quickly and safely scan roads to generate a 3D model of existing surface
- Create design to meet longitudinal evenness and cross slope expectations
- Manage materials to stay within acceptable yields
- Maximise productivity while reducing manpower,equipment hours and overheads
- No employees at risk during data collection surveys
- Safer system of work for on-site personnel
- Less risk of personnel/plant conflict
- Smoother runway profile and improved international roughness index (IRI)
- Reduced unnecessary over-milling of existing material
- Reduced unnecessary over-use of asphalt materials
- Major opportunities for measurable carbon savings
- Removal of optical instrument errors in work practices
- Scan data allows contractors to work with Clients to achieve the best outcome
- Data captured during workflow can be used for BIM or As-Built
As leading academics undertaking research on road surface materials and characteristics we specialise in non-standard testing and consultancy.